In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cell phones

TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
It's just a matter of time before all vehicles come with an "Onstar" type of system pre-installed (that you can't deactivate) that tracks all activity, including location, speeds, etc. While it's great technology for stopping stolen vehicles or child abductions, for now, as the cost comes down it will be everywhere and impossible to evade. And I see it becoming mandatory for new vehicles at some point. Give up freedom for "security". I think someone early in the history of our country had something to say on that subject.

Comments

• TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    JUST A QUICK REMINDER...... In a few weeks, cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you may start to receive sales calls on your cell phone. Depending on your type of service you may be charged for these calls.

To avoid that you can call this number from your cell phone 888-382-1222. It is the national DO NOT CALL list. It only takes a minute of your time. It blocks your number for 5 years. Please pass this on to anyone you know who you feel doesn't want to be hassled.[:)]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  "And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"  "My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."   ATF,Eagle Guns
    edited November -1
    Toolbabe thinks I should get a cell phone. I have never felt the need to have one. However with trying to get the home inspection business going and the sub contracting for Archadeck looking so promising it might not be a bad idea.
    What companys do you guys who have them use? And why?
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
    edited November -1
    i read that they could be remotely turned on to transmit sound or pics without action by owner ????...if this is true then could one of these gizmos you can buy to sweep for hidden transmitters be used to tell when this was happening????? i know of a person here years ago modified a scanner so he could listen in to phone calls...inquiring minds of the electronically challenged want to know
    edited November -1
    What is your opinion or views of the mostly women you see pulling into gas stations or turning corners in a crowded city with a cell phone stuck in their ear?

Thanks

Rockton
    edited November -1
    Just heard there is an anual increase of 10% of people using Cell Phones.. Just what we need another 250,000 Idiots running up and down the road with a cell phone glued to their ear.

No matter where you go, some body has a darn cell phone ringing and disturbing the people around em. are they darn important that they cant wait 10 minutes, to go where I dont have to listen to their conversations..Yea I know, I could leave, but why should I, its not my telephone call..

"It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
    edited November -1
    I heard there was something a person can put on thier cell phones to get extra signal. It doesn't have to be attached or plugged in, I guess it can be held on to the back of the phone with a rubber band. Has anyone ever heard of this? If so what are they and where can you find them?
    edited November -1
    Arw our kids becoming so gadget dependent they cannot entertain themselves withou them?

How did us old farts survive when all they had was dial phones>

Old Fart
    edited November -1
    My wife and I have been having a debate on how long to keep a cell phone on charge.

Her point: Keep it on charge until the 'green" light or full light comes on, anything longer will be hard on the battery's.

My point: Doesn't make any difference on how long it's on the charger, the damage occurs when the batteries are allowed to discharge almost completely.

Dinner on the looser is the result (although according to her rules, I will end up paying for dinner irregardless[:p])
    edited November -1
    What kind of cell phone do you have and do you like it?

I just went to a Motorola Q last week and I love it. Excellent reception and good sound. I cracks e up they talk about all the things a cell phone can do know but they fail to answer the question "HOW IS THE RECEPTION?" The primary reason for a cell phone is to make phone calls. DUH!

I tried out some LG touch screen for a day. My wife still has hers but I hated it.
    1. the reception was worse than the Motorola Razor.I ain't going to upgrade to a phone with worse reception.
    2. I listen with my left ear. This phone was made for right handed people. I kept unlocking it and hanging up on people with my cheek on the touch screen.
    3. The touch screen sucked. I later found the problem to be my phone. Her's was OK. I would aim for the 5 and hit the 8 below it.

WHAT GOOD IS THE CELL PHONE IF YOU CAN'T MAKE THE DANG PHONE CALL!?!?!?

The Motorola also came with an extra large battery. SWEET!

13964_MotImage.jpg
    edited November -1
    I currently have a Razr,and would like to know of a better phone,for range.and simple use!
    edited November -1
    Out of the Bazillion Cell phones, Do any of you know of a cell phone
    With a built in GPS system? If not, lets make one!

gun.gif

NRA Life Endowment Member
    edited November -1
    How do you justify paying the high rates to have one. Been looking to get a Smart phone. Be nice to use some of the features as in traveling.

But paying for voice and data connection is just to expensive. Cheapest I can come up with is right at $80.

But then I still have my Home phone to pay for since that is bundled with my Internet for home. That comes to right at $80. My Problem is if I cut the Home and go completely with cell I do not know if I can get cell service at my place.

I just tried an AT&T one that they claimed I could get service But I had to stand in the front yard with the phone held above my head to get service. But by the time I could dial it was gone.

The only other one that my get service is Verizon.

I do have t-mobile a Pay as you go but it does not get service at home. Its just for emergencies while on the road so far Its gotten service everywhere but right at home. That costs me if I don't use it around $25 per year.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tax deductable [:D]

gun.gif
    Those who live by the
    sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • 358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Nextel because of the two-way radio feature ( Free air time between me and people with the feature saves min.) use it nation wide to talk to both sons and the wife uses it a lot to talk to the grand-childeren, free long distance free nights and weekends two phones runs around $100.00 amonth for 500min of air time on each phone. just my 2 cents

Son if you didn't learn something today, you wasted the whole day. (Jasper N. Lee, my granddaddy)
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife and I both have one. We started out with one for a couple of years back and went with another one. The second one only costs 20.00 more a month and we share the free minutes and also mobil to mobil minutes. The Mrs. needs one for her travels for school and I like one for the travel of my work. The best thing and the most important is that the Mrs. can always call for help or anything when out. And also there are great to have when out hunting incase of an emergency. You have to check your laws when hunting because here in Ohio you cannot use them for pursueing wildlife but are aloud to have them on you for emergency purposes! Get one you will love it!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have sprint, and it works anywhere in the country with out roming charges, when I go overseas the same phone works for me but costs about .70 a minute, and I don't get the messages people leave. I spent to much time being in a different corner of the country way to often to worry about roming charges. my phone bill is usually $50-$100 a month.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Just got one for Kathy since she is a driver now. Nationwide 6 hrs/month weekday minutes, unlimited nighttime and weekends, unused minutes rollover to the next month for 39.95/ month with Cingular. Mine and my wife's are unlimited incoming for free, but we've had them since the old days. They won't do that anymore.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had one with Cellular One for quite a few years now.
    10 county home area, unlimited usage, $39.95

FUNCTION BEFORE STYLE
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I have 3 from Verizon - me, wife and elder Daughter. With the extras, it costs just over $100/mo for 300 shared minutes. No charge to talk to each other, anytime; evenings and weekends no minutes charged; free long distance all the time; each of us has roadside assistance... maybe some other stuff.

I have some friends who are over-the-road truckers & they have the service with the walkie-talkie feature and it seems really neat.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    We have Cingular-until the second my contract is up with them. Lousy, lousy reception virtually everywhere, and they never, ever get the billing right. We have to take the bill into the office every month to have the roaming charges removed. I would strongly advise you to talk to other people who use cell phones in the same general area as you, to see which is going to work best for you.

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    i use mine on nights and on weekends because it is free.also ive had to use my cell for emergency phone calls.where there was to be no phone around.it's in your good interest to get 1.

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I,ve got T-Mobile,3000(three thousand)anytime minutes,
    free long distance,free roaming for about $65 a month
    after all the BS taxes.About the only place I lose signal
    that I go fairly regular is the deer lease.Is that a
    bad thing?I think not.[:D][:D]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a sprint for about a month the got rid of it the service in my area blew. I now have a nextel and have had it for about 3 years absolutely love it my friends all have them so we can two way each other handy tool to have I get free nights and weekends and free long distance free incoming calls unlimited direct connect minutes and 1000 anytime minutes for 54.99 I don't think that price is overly ridiculous.
  • ItGoBangItGoBang Member Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AT&T and in Minnesota it S*&%'S !!! I think it just got sold to someone????? Hope it will work better now [:(!]

It will hurt you, More than it will hurt me..

Life Member..NRA,
    American Legion, MECU, MWCA, SMSC, NASDS, IDPA
    Thanks for all the help!

IN GOD WE TRUST! *And don't use Pay Pal!
  • houndog55houndog55 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a sub-contractor I would hate to think of working without one.The savings in gas and time will more than pay the monthly bill.Use it wisely and it will be a valueable tool.

David Collins
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I have one from Verizon. It's alright and works most of the time. It got stepped on by a cow so it doesn't all the time. I got it mainly because I used to drive 50 minutes each way to/from work. So just in case the trusty chevy broke down, which it never did, I had a back up plan.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent